Saturday, October 13, 2007

Birthday Treats!

Well, this past Tuesday was my birthday, 28! WOW, that's old! I had a good birthday...we went to Texas Roadhouse, my fav restaurant, with friends and Ryan spoiled me with gifts. I love the Christmas village we do every year but I also love Halloween so Ryan gave me a Halloween house like the Christmas ones we have but this one is Dracula's Castle, I love it. Also, he gave me a bike. I actually got to go help pick it out and I was very excited...but this gift comes with a story, here it is:
My main worry about this bike is the bike shoes that clip in and out. I have never used a bike with clips before. At the bike store I kept talking to the sales guys and Ryan about my fear of falling because they all said that everyone falls. Well, I really do not what to fall! They said that it doesn't hurt your body just your pride. They gave me all these tips about how not to fall...I was ready. After 3 hours of measuring, tightening, fitting and checking we paid for the bike, walked out of the store and decided to take a spin around the parking lot...Big Mistake--After twenty seconds of riding I was getting off and unclipped my left foot and then when I stopped I tried to step down with my right foot. As you can tell the right foot was still clipped in and I FELL! I couldn't believe it. I was laughing so hard laying in the middle of the parking lot. Ryan was looking down when I pulled up and he said all he heard was "oh, Crap!" and then saw me fall! It was really funny because I was laughing so hard and Ryan was so concerned. He kept asking of I was ok...of course I was ok, I fell from a standing position to the ground. I wasn't even moving when I fell. It was hilarious! I scratched up my leg, elbow, hands, and my poor bike. I had only owned it about 20 seconds and I already had dinged it up!

That night Ryan and I went on a ride and I did ok. I was nervous (it is not like I remember as a kid) but as we stopped at lights I would clip my right foot out with plenty of time before the light and I was getting pretty good at getting it back in. Well, at our last light I was thinking to myself, "if i wouldn't have fallen earlier today than I wouldn't have fallen on my first day out". I spoke 10 seconds too soon. As the light turned green the cars were waiting for us to go before they turned left so I pushed off but the pad in my shorts got stuck on the seat of my bike and I couldn't get up...smart me took my right hand off the handle bar to move it but with my left foot clipped in and my left hand on the handle bar gravity took over and I fell to the left. Right in front of all the cars waiting to turn left. I can only imagine how hard they were laughing. Because once again I was not even moving just pretty much standing still and then just fell over. I am not very good at this and if I was ever a prideful person...I know have a little less. It is really embarrassing. The only thing you can do is get up move your bike and laugh at yourself. Ryan is funny too because he is almost afraid to laugh at me and gets very concerned. He is cute. And needless to say... my left side now matches the scratches of my right side...this is a dangerous gift! But, I love it and I am very excited to get better at it. Thanks Ry!

No comments: