Each week our bishop assigns the ward a new talk from the May General Conference Ensign. He challenges us to read and study it. Each week one member is invited to share their testimony about the talk. I am happy to report that I have not been chosen to speak in church about it but, I have enjoyed reading the talk each week. And thought that maybe some of you might enjoy checking it out yourself.
This weeks talk is by Elder Marlin K. Jensen, it is called "Remember and Perish Not". I really enjoyed this talk, like all the others. Even though I listened to these talks a few months ago it is always nice to go back and read them again. I also think that everyone gets something different from each talk and it is fun to share. I would like to share a few things that stood out to me.
Elder Jensen recited the First Vision (last weeks talk also mentioned the First Vision) the thing I found interesting about this was the statement that followed, "Remembering his experience of the First Vision never fails to stir my soul to greater commitment and action". I agree. I felt this same way over and over again on my mission when we would share Joseph Smith's experience. It didn't matter how many times we shared it in a day there was just an amazing feeling I felt each time it was recited.
I remember in my first area we had taught a woman who didn't really seem to be moved by our message but as we were finishing her husband came home and agreed to hear our message too. As his wife worked in the kitchen preparing dinner about 8 feet from where we were giving her husband the same message we had just given her, we had an amazing experience. I will never forget the spirit that came over that house as we recited Joseph Smith's First Vision to this man and the tears that streamed down his face that witnessed he felt it too. At that time he told us that he did not know what was making him cry but he wanted to know more. It was truly a story of when remembering the First Vision did not fail "to stir my soul to greater commitment and action." Four months later that family (George, Clede, and their daughter Ariadanie) was married and baptized. This was just one experience of many.
At the end of the talk Elder Jensen concludes with, "Coming unto Christ and being perfected in Him is, I believe, the ultimate purpose of all remembering". I feel we can not afford to not remember, not only all that the Lord did for us to be here but, all that the past leaders and members of this church have done to pave the way for us to be where we are today. I give thanks to them who have paved the way before me and those who will come after. It inspires me to remember to Remember!
If you want to read this talk click on the link on the right side of the page under: This Weeks General Conference Talk.
1 comment:
Nice...I'm going to tell the bishop that you want to get up and talk about it.
Post a Comment