Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Food Nanny

I LOVE TO COOK!!! Sometimes when I'm mad or feel under appreciated and think "I won't make dinner tonight that'll show em!" But then I realize that not making dinner is more of a punishment on me then anyone else, because I enjoy it so much, Ry is fine with a bowl of cereal! :)
As long as we've been married I've worked and that means I usually get home a little tired but it is a stress reliever to cook dinner. But, I have to have a plan. I have to make a list the week before and shop the Saturday before in order to have stress free dinners. If there is no plan and I have to come up with a dinner on the spot...IT'S NOT HAPPENING!
Anyways, a couple of weeks ago we were at Swiss Days (where my sister was voted one of the top 3 booths! :)) and the only thing I bought was this recipe book: (I have a secret crush on all recipe books!) The "Food Nanny" has brought so much JOY into my life the past 2 weeks than I realized a cook book could. It is not so much the food as her idea...Every night is a theme night! Her book is grouped in recipes according to a theme. You pick your theme each night and then just flip to that section in the book and plug in a recipe! I love it. We have eaten Food Nanny recipes each night for the past 2 weeks and it has been some of the best eatin ever! :)
Fettechini Alfredo with homemade bread sticks (Italian night), 3 cheese quesidillias (Mexican night), buttermilk waffles (breakfast night), some amazing Italian pasta (Italian night), homemade pizza (homemade pizza night), and tonight maybe the best fish tacos (meatless/fish night) I've ever had!
I have kept the same themes each week and plan on keeping it that way. This way Ryan will know what to expect for dinner depending on what night it is.
I bought this book for $20.00 but amazon has it for $16.95.
Here is what my two week planner looks like. We plan and shop for 2 weeks at a time except for the perishable items. I also like it because you don't have to just use her recipes but you can plug in your favorites to the night that they match. I read her whole book and loved it...she is from the Park City area...oh and even signed my book! :)
You can check out her web sites and see all her recipes and get them off line. You can also plug them into your own 2 week planner and then print the recipe if you want. I find the book easier just not cheaper. I made my own 2 week planner in Excel instead of using hers because I am a super geek like that!
Anyways, give it a whirl...if nothing else try the theme nights, it kind of makes planning out your menus fun.
I know I am sounding geeker by the minute :)
sorry for all the typos I blog too fast these days... there's just not enough hours in the day!

1 comment:

Dede said...

Fun! I really struggle with making dinner. Many nights I say..."lets just grab something". Maybe I should get this book